The Cheap Coilovers absorb the movements and vibrations transmitted by the roadway. It guarantees interior comfort, handling, and protection of the vehicle’s components. The spring is a constituent element of the suspension. Characterized by many parameters, it is blades or helical. Here is an article helping to choose a spring for the suspension of his vehicle.
General information on suspensions
The suspension acts as the intermediary between the vehicle body and the running platform. The part of the vehicle formed by the frame, the engine and its deck, the bodywork, the passengers and the load constituting the suspended weight, the suspension limits the amplitudes and frequencies of its movements: pitch, roll, yaw, snowshoe, tilt.
For this, it consists of:
– Deformable elements (springs, blocks and gases),
– Shock absorbers,
– Anti-roll bars,
– Tires and seats.
The comfort of the suspension depends on the characteristics of said elements.
Their arrangements and mounting systems are also factors of comfort:
– Longitudinal or transverse assembly of the springs,
– Mounting of the shock absorbers by parallelogram, quadrilateral,
– The provision of a broken axle or independent wheels.
Springs are essential to the suspension. Spring steel, helical or blade, is a silicon and manganese alloy.
The parameters to be observed are:
– The force which corresponds to the maximum load that the spring can support without permanent deformation,
– The arrow which is the difference between free height and height under load,
– The maximum arrow in the assembly,
– The flexibility,
– The oscillation period.
A helical spring or coil is also characterized by:
– Its diameter,
– The diameter of the wire,
– The number of turns per unit length.
For leaf springs, we consider:
– The length of the disassembled spring,
– The distances (horizontal distances between mounting eye and star bolt),
– The number, thickness and width of the blades.
Some examples of suspension springs and brands
The suspension, the most common, is independent wheels, a single transverse triangular arm, damper, coil spring. For the rear, it uses a suspension torsion beam or semi-rigid axle. Sports cars are equipped with double wishbone suspensions.
Spax is the English brand of sports suspension kits: short springs, adjustable kits, krypton gas shock absorbers, etc.
OME suspension operates in 4×4: gas dampers nitrogen and giant rod, steering dampers, blade kit and shock absorbers, ball joints, etc.