In recent times, online shopping in India has really caught on the fancy of a large segment of the demographic population despite the digital divide. Indeed, the convenience factor, lowered prices and accessibility to resources has driven this habit, more than anything else in India. Baggout has conducted a survey recently and the results are shared in this Infographic. Continue reading “Online Shopping in India – Market Research Report”
There are moments in time when you need to hire someone else to write for your sites. This is inevitable as your network grows and you need to start spending time on other projects that can bring in money. Marketing a site of any kind is time consuming but not as time consuming as writing web content. Many that never wrote an article in their life believe that the process is not so difficult but when they actually start to write they figure out it is not the case. When you need to hire a content delivery company, there are various things that you have to consider. Some are more important than others. Continue reading “How to Hire a Content Delivery Company?”
With the economic downturn affecting almost every sector all around the world, it has become ever more important to have a strong standing in your given industry. Standing out from the crowd of your competitors will mean you are the first port of call for customers of your brand, rather than playing catch up. Brands such as Amazon and Facebook have continued to be major forces throughout the world despite the economic climate that we have been faced with since 2008. Their control of digital markets and promotion of the brand have been key drivers of this and if you can get a hold of your digital market then you could be well on your way to being an industry leader in no time. Continue reading “Owning your market: Tackling competition and taking turnover to the next level”
Every website on the internet has a different appeal to different types of customers. Some customers can be found all over the country or the world. However, there are many websites that work best when they are marketed to the people who live closest to the hometown of the business. This means that there must be local website marketing options for a business that thrives on the people that are closest to it. Continue reading “Website Marketing Options”
Title: Deciding Advertising Rates in Online Media – A Practical Guide
Arpan Kumar Kar
Assistant Professor: Indian Institute of Management Rohtak
Abstract: Deciding the advertising rates for online media can often be very challenging. Most bloggers and webmasters fall into a dilemma while deciding the advertising rates for websites and blogs. This essentially is a multi-criteria decision making problem and needs a systematic approach for deciding the rates. This study identifies 8 criteria which may be used for deciding the pricing strategy for any publisher. Further this article provides a systematic approach to decide the best valuation of advertising rates for a web based publishing platform, be it a blog or website
This paper can be cited as follows: Kar, A.K. (2012). Deciding Advertising Rates in Online Media – A Practical Guide, Business Frontiers, 6(1), 1-10.
Keywords: Social Media, Web 2.0, Online Advertisements, Pricing, Rates,
Been a long time since I posted in my blog. Due to some personal reasons, I am getting very little time to blog nowdays. Also, tweeting has almost stop. But would request you all to stay with us, so that after the next few days, you will again see more regular posts from me.
I cordially thank you for your immense support by following us, through thick and thin.
Facebook briefly introduced the ‘Add to interest’ feature in their newest feature trials venture. Surprisingly this was done only for pages with commercial media and text. Although the feature / option quickly disappeared from pages where it was introduced, but it left us wondering if Facebook might be preparing a modified plan for users to opt-in to brand messages or even some sort of discovery engine, based on profile segmentation and customization. This may impact the promoted pages by a huge margin, who may see the spiraling hits/likes from their pages/group rocketing like never before.
This looks like Facebook is all geared to take social media to the next big level, targeted online campaigns from the analysis of Big data, collected from social behavior online. What do you think about this new offering from this social media innovator? write to us to tell us your take on this sneak peek..
The option quickly disappeared from pages, but it left speculators wondering if Facebook might be plotting a way for users to opt-in to brand messages or even some sort of discovery engine.
Most of the webmasters and digital marketing professionals struggle to understand the nuances of Digital Marketing and Search Engine Optimization, especially when it comes to understanding the theory with a deeper perspective than is presented in most blogs and online forums. One of the burning issues that has hit the Web-Masters is how to tackle the Google Panda, after it was released in late 2011. SEO tactics deployed by most web-masters have seemingly failed and many reliable and white hat sites are drastically getting downgraded ever since the Google Panda was introduced.
Google Panda was introduced to weed out “content farms” and low quality sites which strive to make a living by producing low quality content. New dimensions that has been added in Google Panda are that it analyzes websites based on an self-learning AI algorithm, which looks for similarities between websites people found to be high quality and low quality, based on surfing behavior. There is also a high probability that there is an increased usage of Image Analysis with Text Analysis to identify original content. There is also a higher importance to content recency based on content type. Also, which sites and which articles connect to you from which sites, matter a lot.
Google Panda has been criticized by renowned web-masters since many a time renowned websites had “scraped” content and yet the original lesser known site was penalized. Also, it appeared to impact an entire site’s ranking or specific section, rather than just the individual pages on a site. Also it adversely impacted sites where most of the traffic came from “ever popular” content but were of smaller scale (e.g. Websites with niche content, Personal blogs).
So what does that leave you? If you are a web-master, you are probably worrying how to ensure that all the effort you have put in to develop your website does not go down the drain.While age old SEO tactics like getting good quality back-links still do the trick, it is important to realize that there are some basic differences which needs to be addressed, if you want to ensure that your web-site is recognized by Google Panda as a high quality site.
So we have brought out few pointers on what not to do, if you are attempting to optimize your website based on the guide-lines from Google Panda.
- Never keep a high percentage of duplicate content. This might apply both to a page or a complete site. So content that you may have on headers or footers, if they are repeated across pages, should never increase more than 25% of the content across all the pages.High percentage of boilerplate content (similar static content) is a strict negative pointer from Google Panda.
- A low amount of original content on a page or site is always bad. It is a good practice to ensure when you make a post, you should have more that at least 300 words in every post. Semantic analysis is done by Search Engines nowdays, which can actually trace the quality of content that you may have posted in your article, which is new from your older articles or novel from other content in other web-sites.
- A high percentage of pages with a low amount of original content will drastically downgrade your SERP rank. So it is important to ensure, that you create a post only when you have substantial content to make a new post. The age old thought that you should post frequently irrespective of the post content is way dead. It has been attacked by Search Engines besides Google, to weed out content farms.
- A high amount of inappropriate adverts, especially in the beginning of the page, showcases the focus of the web-page is only revenue. Hence Panda will recognize that page and a site as being a Content Farm.
- If the page content and page title tags do not match for the search queries a page does well for, it will be taken as an attempt to play around with key-words. Text snippets will be analyzed through Symantec Analyzers to ensure there is high consistency between the meta tags and content.
- Unnatural language on a page including over-optimization of SEO will be harshly penalized. Google is increasingly becoming efficient to recognize Black Hat SEO tactics.
- High bounce rate from a particular web-page or web-site or even low visit time on pages or site, less than 30 seconds, will be recognized as a low content web-page or website. Also low percentage of users returning to a site, without search, will be an indicator that the site has low quality content where visitors do not return. These are strong indicators of the content quality and quantity in a website.
- Low click-through percentage from Google’s results pages (for page or site) as and when it appears in Google Search will ensure that the page ranks even lower for consecutive searches, for the search criteria.
- Low or no quality inbound links to a page or site (by count or percentage) is always bad. However, low quality backlinks is judged by the relevance of the web-page where it is linked to, by analyzing the text snippets of the mentioned paragraph. If a page is mentioned where it won’t have substantial semantic linkage to the content, it may get penalized.
- Low or no mentions or links to a page or site in social media and from other sites is also bad. It is of critical importance that new people share your content. Typically, most SEO professionals link up with a group to promote their content by exchanging votes/shares. Over time, the same group of professionals share the links and posts of a site get shared by the same group, and within the same group. The search engines today can track the sharing pattern through web-mining and this is a serious negative pointer for a web-sites. Sharing or mentions across pages or new profiles is the new mantra for success. Even if you hit Digg’s first page by exchanging votes, you are likely to be recognized by Google Panda as a Link Farm.
I hope you enjoyed going through these guidelines on how to protect your web-site from Google Panda downgrades. Do let me know if you have any queries. You could also check out few of the good service providers for web marketing. Also, check out the free ebook “Advanced Guide to Digital Marketing” for more details on digital marketing, the theories and advanced concepts.
Digital Marketing is the promotion of an offering using all forms of digital advertising media to reach the target segment. Today, theoretically, these channels of promotion include Radio, mobile, Internet, Television, social media marketing and other less popular forms of digital media. However, when speaking in a generalized manner, digital marketing is synchronously connected with marketing using the web or internet.
Most of us strive to understand the nuances of Digital Marketing, especially when it comes to understanding the theory with a deeper perspective than is presented in most blogs and online forums. This presentation / ppt is for all those who are searching for a crisp yet highly informative presentation/ebook on digital marketing.
Check out this ebook/presentation on the theory behind digital marketing and search engine optimization. Advanced Guide to Digital Marketing
DOWNLOAD THIS PRESENTATION NOW TO UNDERSTAND THE MANAGEMENT THEORIES BEHIND DIGITAL MARKETING.
In this presentation, the main focus is on 6 different sub-topics in digital marketing
- Theoretical frameworks which affect digital marketing strategy development
- Digital branding theories and frameworks
- Digital Marketing Research, the roadmap for success
- Optimizing through Web Analytics
- Promotions and Advertising Channels
- Finally the eye of the Apple: SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION. Here we discuss in details about how it is done, the best practices, what’s done and what’s not done, and so much more..
Here’s a sneak peek to the slide of contents for all those who are still deliberating whether to download this ebook or presentation.
Do let me know how this presentation may be improved upon. Your feedback is very valuable to me. Do refer this ebook to your friends and link back to this page, if you benefited from this ebook. Also, subscribe via email to this blog, to get more business management lectures and updates.
This week we have a special gift for all our email subscribers. You have special access to the “Advanced Guide to Digital Marketing” for free. To download your free copy, subscribe via email. The footer section of the newsletter contains the download link for the guide, which will boost your understanding of digital marketing. It is short and crisp, and will help you to deliver. It is a 32 page document which will provide enormous insight on how to brand your offering, how to do market research and how to optimize your web-site using SEO tactics to ensure greater visibility on web. In fact the SEO section has been designed to ensure you have a deeper understanding on how to deliver greater value to your business.
Do contact me if you face any problems while downloading the free E-Book. I will mail it to you personally. Also, feel free to get back to me if you have any query after reading the same.
In an independent survey conducted by Business Fundas, the top channels as perceived by social media marketers were identified and ranked. For this study, the over 20,000+ twitter followers (and also other social media marketers on twitter) were presented with a questionnaire for understanding the perceived importance of the various media for these marketing experts with a conversion of 1034 respondents for the study. Based on the results, the following results were obtained:
The top social media marketing channel based on our survey results was search engine. It performed extremely well as a channel to improve brand or service or product awareness, as well as a channel to improve conversion rates from potential leads to actual customer engagement.
The results for the best channel for creation of awareness for the service or products are as displayed in the graph below:
As these results indicate, some of the more popular and initially perceived important social media channels like Twitter, Digg, Reditt, Stumbleupon received lesser votes in confidence when it came to actual performance in terms of a channel to increase service or product or brand awareness.
Similarly, the top social media resources to convert potential customers to buyers are as follows:
As is evident from the results of the graph, the top resource, as perceived by the social media marketers in both cases are search engines. This was closely followed by Facebook and Youtube. However, some of the more popular and initially perceived important social media channels like Twitter, Digg, Reditt, Stumbleupon received lesser votes in confidence when it came to actual performance. Maybe since these are perceived as more of a media for capturing interesting sources of stories and / or multimedia, they are losing their importance as channels of social media marketing.
Do let us know what are your feedback about the social media marketing channels. How do YOU draw traffic to your blog? Is that a sustainable source of traffic or does that depend on daily marketing efforts and link exchanges amongst colleagues to promote your content? Do let us know.
Affiliate marketing is a highly popular emergent marketing practice in which a business model rewards an affiliate marketer for each customer brought about by the affiliate’s own marketing efforts. More popular examples include rewards sites, where users are rewarded with cash or gifts, for the completion of an offer, and the referral of others to the site. The industry has four core players: the merchant (who is sometimes also known as ‘retailer’), the network (Affiliate marketers create this network), the publisher (also known as ‘the affiliate’), and the customer or consumer. The value creation is through a network where all the marketers benefits not only from his direct sales but also the sales of those affiliate marketers who joined the program under him.
Online or Internet based affiliate marketing overlaps with other Internet marketing methods to some degree, because most affiliates use regular advertising business models like CPM, CPC, CPI techniques. The techniques to gain the attention of the customer include organic search engine optimization, paid search engine marketing, e-mail marketing, and in some sense display advertising. On the other hand, internet affiliate marketers sometimes use less orthodox techniques, such as publishing reviews of products or services offered by a partner.
Some of the more popular affiliate marketing plans which an online marketer can look towards are as follows:
- Amazon.com offers the best kind of referral if you have a great online presence. You can potentially sell thousands of items and also selective items which suit the theme of your website and make 4% to 15% of the sales of books, electronic gadgets and what not.
- BBL Marketing media is another promising affiliate marketing platform which market online classified ads and take a percentage of the potential sales.
- Share sale is another top affiliate marketing opportunity if you like promoting technology based services.
- There are multiple software firms which offer a percentage cut if you can sell their product through affiliate marketing, especially which create social media software, like Twitter/Facbook marketing software like TweetAdder or FriendAdder.
- Many online services like website hosting services from GoDaddy are also a good opportunity for affiliate marketers. If you refer anyone to use these services, you will generate a decent cut of the sales.
- Last but not the least, there is the huge chain of affiliate marketing banking on Pay-per-Click and Pay-per-View on the posting of advertisements by the affiliate marketer. The most popular amongst them is MyLikes and SponsoredTweets . In these programs you can make easy money by tweeting to our followers. Similar opportunities are also available if you post advertisements in your Facebook profiles.
- There are multiple opportunities to create sponsored posts in blogs and earn through that. One of the most popular website to do that is Pay-per-Post.
Hope these inputs helped you to kick-start your career as an affiliate marketer. Do let us know if you know of any more highly popular affiliate marketing programs.