Gary Dahl and his pet rock will go down as being one of the most surprising success stories in history. His success proved to the business world that there is a market for almost anything. All it really takes is a great product (like a rock nuzzled in a nest of straw) and a massive band of believers to be a success. Showing at trade shows can be a wonderful way for you and your company to increase your band of believers. It is an opportunity for you to introduce you latest products to industry professionals. However, generating buzz, leads and sales will take a lot more than simply showing up. Below are a few tips to help you have a successful trade show exhibit.
Tips for a Successful Trade Show Exhibit:
- Do your research: It is always a good thing to be invited to show at a trade show. However, the whole thing can turn out to be a massive waste of time and money if you show at the wrong type of trade show. Before you commit, research the theme of the show to determine if your products will fit into the niche. Also, research the venue for popularity and size to determine how many buyers and searchers will be in attendance.
- Advertise: Once you have committed to a trade show, you will have to advertise. Reach out to organizations and professionals that you want to partner with and invite them to the show. Approach them via email or snail mail with a brief introduction letting them know that you and your awesome products will be at the show.
- Make the most out of your booth: Enlist the aid of the creative professional in your team to design your booth space. Your space should be inviting, informative, bright and easy to navigate. Your booth should include banners and pamphlets that highlight your products, it should be uncluttered, and it should also encourage interaction.
- Give out functional promotional items: Giving out functional promotional items such as a branded credit card sized flash drive, key chains and pens will keep your company in the minds of the receivers while they use the items. Functional promotional items is a wonderful way to market as it can prompt buyers to take a closer look at your company long after the show is over.
- Be personable: When buyers approach your booth, you need to use that opportunity to be personable and confident. Answer questions with intelligence and sell your product without being annoyingly salesy. Be funny and carefree without seeming fake or desperate. Be a person that buyers will like to do business with on a long term basis.
- Maximize your brand ambassadors: Because there will be other businesses showing similar products, you will have to find ways to stand out. Hire a team that will excitedly represent you. Hire a mascot and always have members of your team interacting with the products.
- Network with other business owners: While the other businesses showing at the trade show are technically your competition, they can also be assets to your business. Developing relationships with other businesses can open up opportunities to cross promote, collaborate and help each other grow.
In addition to implementing other methods of advertising and marketing, showing at trade shows can be a huge benefit for your business. Now that you know what it takes to have a successful showing, it’s time for you to get your products ready. Gather your team of representatives, order your functional promotional items, grow your confidence and attend these shows hell-bent on leaving a lasting impression.
Trade shows offer a great platform to promote your product! So use it diligently.