John Francis “Jack” Welch, is an American chemical engineer, businessman and author. He was Chairman and CEO of General Electric between 1981 and 2001. Welch’s net worth is estimated at $720 million. Jack Welch is such an authority on the subject that many master of organizational leadership programs put a focus on his principles of management. Following are few of his top rated quotes on management.
- Face reality as it is, not as it was or as you wish it to be.
- If you pick the right people, and give them the opportunity to spread their wings and put compensation as a carrier behind it you almost don’t have to manage them.
- Give me a highly successful unionized industry.
- If change is happening on the outside faster than on the inside the end is in sight.
- Giving people self-confidence is by far the most important thing that I can do. Because then they will act.
- If you don’t have a competitive advantage, don’t compete.
- Control your own destiny or someone else will.
- Good business leaders create a vision, articulate the vision, passionately own the vision, and relentlessly drive it to completion.
- An organization’s ability to learn, and translate that learning into action rapidly, is the ultimate competitive advantage.
- Number one, cash is king… number two, communicate… number three, buy or bury the competition.
- The essence of competitiveness is liberated when we make people believe that what they think and do is important – and then get out of their way while they do it.
- The Internet is the Viagra of big business.
- If GE’s strategy of investment in China is wrong, it represents a loss of a billion dollars, perhaps a couple of billion dollars. If it is right, it is the future of this company for the next century.
- My main job was developing talent. I was a gardener providing water and other nourishment to our top 750 people. Of course, I had to pull out some weeds, too.
- Willingness to change is a strength, even if it means plunging part of the company into total confusion for a while.
Do share if you liked these quotes from the Management Guru Jack Welch.