Nobody likes the idea of being injured whilst at work, however sometimes accidents are unavoidable. If you have been injured or hurt in the workplace, you are most likely entitled to worker’s compensation. The vast majority of employers are required by state law to provide worker’s compensation insurance coverage for their employees. If you have been hurt or injured as a result of an accident at work and are wondering what to do next, we’ve put together a few helpful tips in order to protect your legal rights and get the compensation that you are entitled to.

Make an Accident Report

If you don’t realize that you are injured right away, you might run into some trouble. In most states, you will have a short time window where the accident must be reported to a superior in order to be covered under worker’s compensation. This means that you should report any accident that you are involved in on the job, even if you are not sure at the time whether or not you are injured. Even if you don’t sustain any injuries, your report can be beneficial to future health and safety strategies.

Report an Injury as Soon as You Discover It

If you have reported an accident yet are not sure if you are injured, remember that any injuries which you do find should be reported as soon as possible and linked back to the previous accident report. For example, if you have a fall in work and report it, and the next morning have severe back pain as a result, the back pain should also be reported separately and immediately.

Get Medical Attention

You should see a medical professional as soon as possible after sustaining an injury in the workplace. Ideally, there should be employees trained in first aid at your workplace who will be able to give you initial care and advice. Make an appointment to see a doctor or visit an emergency room if the accident warrants it as soon as you can. If you need to see a doctor, you should check with your employer whether they require you to see a specific doctor or if you can visit your usual practitioner. If your employer chooses the doctor and you are not satisfied with the visit, you may want to consider getting a second opinion from a doctor of your own choosing. Worker’s compensation may not pay for this, but it is likely to be covered by your own health insurance.

See a Lawyer

It is a good idea to get in touch with an attorney who is experienced in handling worker’s compensation claims. An initial consultation will often be free of charge, and the attorney will be able to assist you in determining which benefits you may be entitled to receive as a result of your injury. For an attorney in Houston who specializes in worker’s compensation claims, see Adame Garza Law.

Have you ever been injured at work? Tell us your story in the comments below.

By Eddy

Eddy is the editorial columnist in Business Fundas, and oversees partner relationships. He posts articles of partners on various topics related to strategy, marketing, supply chain, technology management, social media, e-business, finance, economics and operations management. The articles posted are copyrighted under a Creative Commons unported license 4.0. To contact him, please direct your emails to [email protected].

%d bloggers like this: